Well, I’m trying out DigitalOcean.com to see what it’s like firing up my own little servers, instead of paying extra for a managed VPS that isn’t as fast as I’d like. So far, there is a big learning curve. Droplets and snapshots aren’t as user-friend as I’d like.
To Create a New Server
- Install new droplet
- Centos 7
- With SSH key (id_rsa)
- Reset root password to get the root password (if none emailed, seems not!)
- Login via SSH, you’ll have to change to a new password
- Easiest with Terminal because you can copy/paste passwords
- Install Vesta:
# Connect to your server as root via SSH ssh email@example.com # Download installation script curl -O http://vestacp.com/pub/vst-install.sh
- Run Vesta Installer to get LAMP, email, etc.
- Vesta Installer using default settings (https://vestacp.com/#install ):
- Fill in the hostname which is the droplet name, e.g. “centos-512mb-sfo”
- Fill in email
- Fill desired admin password for Vesta
- Sample command created by the Vesta website:
bash vst-install.sh --nginx yes --apache yes --phpfpm no --vsftpd yes --proftpd no --exim yes --dovecot yes --spamassassin yes --clamav yes --named yes --iptables yes --fail2ban yes --mysql yes --postgresql no --remi yes --quota no --hostname MYSERVERHOSTNAMEHERE --email MYEMAILHERE@MOI.COM--password MYPASSWORDHERE
- Look for results after this runs:
Congratulations, you have just successfully installed Vesta Control Panel https://22.214.171.124:8083 username: admin password: MYPASSWORDHERE
Make a Snapshot
Make a snapshot of a server setup so you don’t have to build from scratch.
- Power down the droplet from command line:
Login to your Droplet as root and execute the “shutdown -h now”(or “poweroff”?) command. This will shut down your operating system, flush any pending changes to the disk, and then terminate power to your server.
- When the droplet shows as “off”, make a snapshot
- When finished, turn the droplet back on if you wish.
- Set your DNS servers:
Add User with the new domain name
- Use the “admin” user for a single-user server (?)
- Best to wait for DNS to propagate!
- Add a new user for the new domain
- Login as the new user (directly from Vesta, there is a link to login as the user)
- Create a new domain under the “Web” menu
- Advanced: add SSL support using Lets Encrypt! Might fail if DNS isn’t live yet.